More and more Gold Coasters are looking to their local library to kick-start their business venture including Charlie Ercan and Daniel Papanikolaou, co-founders of Gold Coast based business, Unique Muscle, which supplies natural and vegan nutritional products, who found it had plenty to offer.
“Daniel and I used the library to start our business because we couldn’t initially afford an office to work from,” said Charlie.
“The library was a fantastic space for us to be productive, get our business off the ground and save a lot of money in the process. It’s a great, quiet space to think and be creative.
“We were able to take advantage of the free Wi-Fi, cosy working spaces and business books that we could refer to during a problem,” she says.
Getting that practical help is crucial in the early days and Gold Coast Libraries has a huge range of resources to help local entrepreneurs launch or scale up their business or idea.
If you’re planning to make your mark in the business world like Charlie and Daniel have, get started at Gold Coast Libraries. They’ve got loads of resources to connect small business ventures and entrepreneurs with information, data, research and services to help you turn your business idea into reality.
Top 10 business resources at Gold Coast libraries
1. Planning and support: link into services from across government to support your business start-up.
2. Business workshops: the Start me up – Business skills series provides support for emerging businesses, entrepreneurs and start-ups with practical monthly business skills workshops delivered by current industry experts.
3. Business events: come along to free regular networking events, where you can get advice and inspiration from leading entrepreneur role models.
4. Creative Tech Labs: tech labs at Helensvale and Southport Libraries provide free digital creation spaces for public use and host regular workshops and classes. Book online or drop in during an Open Lab session.
5. Online learning: free tutorials through Lynda.com and The Computer School will help advance your knowledge and support your business venture.
6. Meeting spaces: Libraries are comfortable, convenient and great meetup spaces for your next collab, with a hub of resources at your fingertips.
7. Research assistance: if you need help with research to start, run or grow your business, simply fill out the Ask a Librarian form and a friendly librarian will get back to you as soon as possible.
8. Free Wi-Fi: say no more.
9. Services: easy access to PCs, printing, photocopying and scanning services, all in the one place.
10. Business inspo: access the latest issues of business and finance magazines, as well as new and classic print and electronic format books to boost your business skills.
Five years on, and Charlie and Daniel have grown Unique Muscle into a thriving business. “I highly recommend Gold Coast Libraries to get your passion project moving,” says Charlie.
This is just one of the increasing number of growing businesses who have found their start at Gold Coast Libraries.